If someone were to ask me, if I only had to do one thing to help optimise my health what would it be? I would say to aim to drink 2 litres of water daily! Water is essential for our body, to help it function properly.
Why we need to stay hydrated and how water functions in our bodies?
Our bodies alone our made up of 60% of water and all our major bodily functions depend on water to survive. These are just a few examples of how water helps function our bodies.
- Regulates our bodies temperature
- Flushes out toxins from the body
- Promotes good kidney function
- Lubricates joints and muscles
- Keeps our skin hydrated making it look healthier and younger
How much water do I need?
13 cups (approx. 3 litres) for men and 9 cups (approx. 2 litres )for women. An adequate amount of water intake can vary from person to person. The amount of water you need can also depend on several factors.
- High fibre diet
- An increased loss from caffeine or alcohol
- Hot weather
- If you are breastfeeding.
Tips to increase your water intake.
- Get into the habit of drinking a glass of water before your morning coffee/tea.
- Sip water throughout the day, and carry a water bottle with you.
- Set some reminders on your phone throughout your day to help track your intake.
- Eat it. Lots of fruit and vegetables have a high water content, some of these include cucumber, Tomatoes, celery, watermelon and lettuce.
- Flavour it.If you struggle to guzzle down plain water why not add some flavour to it with slices of fruit such as lemon, grapefruit, lime or watermelon making it a fruit-infused water.
- Focus on your body's signals. Is your mouth dry, is your urine colour bright rather than diluted. Do you feel tired or light headed. Being mindful on these signals can help you stay hydrated.